Friday, June 16, 2023

My Place

I went to a movie one time called The War Room.

It was about a woman who was a real estate agent and was having trouble in her marriage.

One of the houses she was to sell belonged to an older woman who taught her about turning to God for help.

She had a place in her house that she called her war room because she fought against darkness there through prayer.

It was a closet and it was full of scripture quotes taped to the wall.

The woman ended up creating a space like that for herself and it helped change her.

After seeing the movie, I started adding some notecards to my closet wall.


So, as I was studying the Come Follow Me lesson this week, there was a verse that stood out to me.

This is after Jesus has shared the Passover meal with his disciples and introduced the sacrament.

And it is right before He is to accomplish the greatest act in history - His Atonement.

 "And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him." Luke 22:39

The Greek translation of the word wont is accustomed.

In John 18:1-2 it says, 

1 "... he went forth with his disciples over the brook Cedron, where was a garden, into the which he entered, and his disciples.

2 And Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples.

Gethsemane was a place that Jesus was accustomed to go to.

He went there often.

And that is the place He chose to go when He descended below all things.


I love the idea that Jesus went to a familiar place.

So, what is my place?


I thought about how much I love being outside and how I feel so close to God when I'm in nature.

But, the place that I go most often or that is the most familiar to me is not there.


I realized that my place is right next to my bed.

Anytime I am feeling stressed or joyful or tired, I go to the side of my bed.


I have spent hours there. 

Kneeling.

Writing.

Praying.

Pondering.

It is a sacred place for me.


My place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...