Thursday, January 11, 2018

Just Write

Some time back before Christmas I decided to give up social media.

I recently had given up sugar. 


Not because it's "bad", but because I had noticed some effects it had on me that I didn't like. 


So, it was also a bit of an experiment to see if it changed some of these physical things.


It did.


I feel 100% better not eating sugar. 


And I don't even crave it so much because I know what it does to me.


When I started, I wrote down some things that I wanted to replace the sugar with. 


Eat an apple, a handful of nuts, drink some water.



I don't think that social media is bad, but I did feel that I was spending too much time on it.

I had also been thinking about all the books I used to read and wondering why I didn't read anymore.


Was it just because I had gotten busy?


But, really I stopped reading when I got a smart phone and when Facebook came out.



--Sidetrack --
I love Facebook!!
I love being "in touch" with old college roommates and old friends and knowing what is going on in people's lives.
How did I ever live without it?
I guess I had to be more diligent about keeping in touch.
I wasn't.
And I actually had to write letters or make phone calls.
I didn't.
Who has time for that? 
Well, I guess people who aren't spending time looking at their phone at the hundreds of people they're keeping in touch with.

Anyway, my main point was that I wanted to free up some time. 


Or at least experiment and see if it freed up some of my time.


So, I wrote down some things that I would like to replace that time with.


READ

CLEAN
VISIT
WRITE

I've gotten good at replacing social media with reading. 


(In some ways, it's not that different!)


I've already finished 3 books!


My house is cleaner.


And I've been able to make visits to neighbors and friends that I haven't in the past.



But, what about writing?


Why do I want to write?


When I write, I just put all kinds of jumbled thoughts down.


And as I do that, things become clearer.


I'm not saying that I'm a good writer.


But, I'm not bad at editing.


I spend less time writing all the jumbled thoughts than thinking about what I've written and getting it just right.


So, that's what I'm going to do.


Just write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...