Monday, June 12, 2023

Summer Schedule 2023

It seems like I find new ways to schedule myself each summer.

This is the first summer in a long time when I don't have to work.

There are a few things that have consistently worked for me.

Like having a theme each day to work with.


Here's this summer's:

Monday - Laundry Day/Food Prep Day

I used to try and do a load each day but then it seemed like it never ended. I like getting it all done in one day.

Also, as long as I'm going to be home doing laundry, I figured I'd spend some time in the kitchen prepping some food. 

Today, I'm planning on hard-boiling some eggs and maybe making some spanish rice.


Tuesday - Deep Cleaning Day/Library Day

Everyone at home has an "area" that they are supposed to keep clean as well as their bedrooms.

We rotate through those areas weekly right now, though in the past we've kept the same area for a month so the kids could become experts.

Then, once a week, we do the deeper cleaning like dusting, vacuuming and mopping.

I like to pair this with something the kids want to do as an encouragement, thus going to the library when we're done.


Wednesday - Temple Day/Computer Work

The plan is to go at least weekly during this summer and hopefully keep the momentum for the rest of the year.

We are so blessed to have a temple that is only 10 minutes away.

I'm also planning on using this day to work on my budget and menu planning.


Thursday - Errands/Shopping Day

I hope that I can schedule appointments and have all my lists ready for this day.

Also, having a day like this makes it easier when my kids are asking to go shopping to get stuff.


Friday - Fun Day/Hiking Day

Every other week I am doing a beginning hike with whatever women want to join me.

On the days when I'm not hiking with them, we will try and figure out something fun to do.

My kids are all older now and not as excited to hang out with me.


Saturday - Outdoor Work/Project Day

I am easily overwhelmed with all the projects that I see need to be done.

So, I'm working really hard on breaking those projects down into manageable chunks and projects that I can feel successful in completing in just a few hours.


The new type of schedule I'm working on is time block scheduling.

5:30am - wake up

6:00-7:00am - walk with friends

7:00-7:30am - family scripture study

7:45am - breakfast

8:00-9:00am - strength training on MWF; yard work on TTh

10:00-12:00pm - this is my block of time to get ready and do my personal scripture study. And I'm doing everything I can to protect this time for me - it's my "mom needs to stay sane" time.

12:30-3:30pm - this block of time is for the theme of the day, i.e. cleaning, temple, errands, etc.

4:00-7:30pm - this is for dinner time and regular chaos

9:30pm - my goal is to be in bed every night by this time.


I don't feel like I'm overscheduling myself when I do it this way.

There are lots of break times and overlaps and I feel flexible if things need to be switched around.


I love summer mostly for this reason - to be scheduled in a new way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...