Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Candy

So I'm looking for comments here. What do you do with your Halloween candy?

When I was a kid it was like a huge trading post. We separated our candies into their piles and then commenced making deals with each other. "I'll give you two tootsie rolls and a squirrel nut for a snickers - what are you kidding?"

In my family we have tried several strategies. You get 10 pieces of candy a day, but they get taken away as a punishment one piece at a time. "That's ok I still have 6 pieces left!"

Then there was the weaning one. You get 10 today and 8 tomorrow, then 6 the next day, until we are down to the normal one or two pieces a day. but that just seemed to drag out the sugar high. "Hey we're supposed to get 6 today - waaaaaahhhh!"

Now we dump all of our candy into one bowl (or two) and then we sort it. (what did we get the most of? the least of?) Then we dump it back in and dig in. For the last two years we just go for it. Everyone can eat as much as they want, whenever they want, until its all gone. "Mom, I don't feel so good."

This year I let everyone choose out 10 pieces that are just theirs. They can trade them for something else from the big bowl, but they cannot replace them. "Hey I don't remember eating one of my special ones but now there's only 9!"

Anyway, what are your ways. And don't tell me you just eat it slowly and it lasts for months. Whatever.

9 comments:

  1. donate it to the bishop so he can hand it out to the kids after church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, since we have no trick-or-treaters in our house...we are stuck with the leftovers of what we tried to give away. Despite the nice temperatures, we really didn't have that many trick-or-treaters this year....so if your kids are needing any ADDITIONAL candy....I know where they could obtain some! (Cause I surely don't need it!)

    But just for discussions sake...growing up, with 10 kids in my family...we always had a big trading post with our candy. Then it was yours to stash away in your secret places. It was always a big competition among siblings to see who could make their halloween stash last the LONGEST. I'm pretty sure NO ONE ever made it to Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to eat it as quickly as I can so it's no longer sitting around the house tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the past I have had to hide the candy and eventually throw away a little at a time. I just hate having it! This year we didn't get a huge load so the kids ate it til it was gone. I picked up more wrappers off the floor this year though! All the candy is GONE! Belle almost threw up once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid, my candy lasted until the next halloween. Seriously. What happened to me? It was the first sign of my hoarding ways. No way. I'm eating all my leftover candy. Unless you want some. I'll share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just sent the rest of the Halloween Candy to work with Chad. It needs to be out of my house so it no longer is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This year the HALLOWEEN WITCH came to our house. The kids each got to choose ten pieces of candy and can eat them whenever. The rest of the candy went into a big bowl for the witch. Emma set it out by the front door. The HALLOWEEN WITCH came after the kids were in bed and exchanged the big bowl for a fun book for each kid. The kids got to choose if they wanted to participate and never complained about their lack of candy. They loved their books. The HALLOWEEN WITCH sorted through the rest of the candy and gave some of it to Dave for work and the rest to me to use at my discretion (ie. decorations for our gingerbread house next month).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I don't have a strategy, maybe one will develop over the next couple of years. Eli seems to just forget about his which is nice. So come Easter time I find the bag og Halloween candy, oops! I think my family we just slowly whittled it away when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I'm the worst parent in the world I just let them eat their halloween candy. I have one who will hoard it, but its gone for the rest of the kids, yes we like to keep the dentist in business!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...