Saturday, December 6, 2008

Arrived

Does anyone else ever feel like they just haven't "arrived" yet.

I look around at my high school friends, college roommates, family, etc. and they all look like they have it completely together. They seem settled, happy. They seem to have a real life.

But then I look at my own life and wonder why am I so late doing everything? My life seems so far behind where everyone else is.

I guess it's a matter of expectations. What does "arrived" look like to me?

Unfortunately, I'm probably mostly thinking of material things. The nice house, the nice decor (not things taped to walls), a steady job, the right kind of toys, the money.

But I also know what really matters.

 Its the question: have I "arrived" spiritually? Am I where I should be now?

When I think about how much I have learned and grown in the past few years I definitely see improvement.

In some ways I will never really "arrive" spiritually because its the journey that counts.

And I can't do it on my own anyway.

Luckily, I have a lot of really good examples of people "arriving": high school friends, college roommates, family, etc.

Its always good for me to remember these things and know that I'm doing ok, even if it may not look that way with my own "material" eyes.

And to make sure that I look at others this way as well.

Because hopefully someday we will all "arrive" at the same place anyway.

6 comments:

  1. For whatever it is worth...I look at you and definitely think YOU have it all together. It appears (to me) that you definitely have "arrived". (Beautiful, happy family, nice home, etc) So, maybe it is just an issue of perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla this is shauna. You have got it all together girl. Julie has it right. You have all of the important things together. You are an amazing women who takes everything in stride and even smiles while doing it. You my dear have arrived. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definetely someone I look up to and I have always felt like you have "arived"! I totally know what you mean though. I feel the same way. It's like I am just waiting for something. Something to make me feel "there and arived". Not sure what that is but I always love your introspective posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too also look up to you as an example. As someone who has "arrived" I think you are a great example and I learn something every time we talk, even if we haven't really talked about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't we all arrived? Afterall, we are all somewhere. The question is, do we like where we are? To coin a popular phrase from my varied and distant past, 'Keep on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When is everyone's ETA anyhow? We know what really matters and it is the journey as you said. Aren't we all on the same quest? You're rockin' the course baby; great kids, fabulous hubby, and good on the inside. That is what really counts!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...