Thursday, November 19, 2009

This Is War!

Ok, so that title might be a little much. But that is basically how I was feeling earlier this morning. You see, I have a 13 year old daughter. Enough said? She is a really good person. We just have this problem with discipline. I remember going to a class once that was on How to Discipline Your Toddler. And I remember the speaker saying, you're going to need to remember this, because toddlers and teenagers are not that different. Boy, was she right. So I was trying to remember what my teenager was like as a toddler. She was usually really good. The problem of course was when she wasn't. It was hard to discipline her because she didn't care about anything. It was hard to take things away when she didn't care. And when we would get mad at her she thought it was a funny game. The smirk on her face made us even more insane, causing her to smirk even more. Totally vicious circle. Well, now she's a teenager and guess what, she still doesn't care about much. But I think I figured something out. Here's what I got on my pillow this morning:

Dear Mom & Dad,
I am sorry about yesterday. I made bad choices, but you did make pretty violent punishments. Is there any possible way that we could lessen these punishments ever so slightly? It would make it easier on both of us. I mean, you guys have to enforce these punishments.
(it's so nice that she cares about us)
Ok, so I don't care about the no reading, no computer time, no watching other's computer time, and all that. At the moment, I think that's for the best. (so glad she agrees)
I will not rush through jobs so I can read and end up forgetting my homework. (totally not the problem) I can work on my pillowcase embroidery. I can write letters to my Lehi friends so we can be pen pals.
But the other part of the punishment is the "violent" part. Sneaking into my room and taking all my clothes while I shower is a bit overreactive. I know I showered disobediently
(we gave her the choice of showering now or in the morning, when she refused to decide we said - morning) and I'm sorry, but taking my clothes and making me pay for them is quite drastic.
(I know, awesome! and it just came to me)
I'm not going to try to persuade you out of making me pay for my clothes, I'd just like to tweak the payments a bit. (I'm glad she's not going to try and persuade us)
I'd be much more willing to pay for the clothes this way. I have 3 choices:
Option A: underwear, socks, bras, undershirts - 50c each; shirts, pants - $1 each; church outfits - $3 an outfit; school outfit (this includes undershirt, shirt, pants, socks) $5. I also get 1 article of clothing of your choice every time I do 1 extra job without complaining. This means complete and well done.
Option B: This option is just the prices lessened as show above.
Option C: This option is the job - clothes option only
These options would increase my willingness to help and pay. By the way, the prices before are way too expensive.
Happy Anniversary!
[name]


So is anyone else laughing hysterically over this letter? She is a really good writer. This letter just made my day. But here's the deal, instead of having to pay for clothes this morning, apparently she had a pair of jeans in the bathroom with her that I didn't get. And her sister, who according to her, is mean to her and annoying, let her borrow some clothes. She thought she had totally got us. The smirk was back.

But one thing I learned from her toddler years, I cannot get angry. Well, I mean I cannot lose it. I will just proceed and see how it all goes. She will get extra jobs, she will not be allowed to read. And she will have to pay for clothes to wear. And I'll also make sure that her love bucket is full so she'll want to be good.

But can you see why it's almost like war?

9 comments:

  1. OK - I am almost peeing myself laughing. Clearly your issues are way different than most. Your response - OK, I know that making you pay for your clothes is "violent" and "overreactive", so instead you can just pay for for your food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...that is HILARIOUS!!! It reminds me of when my Mom took my blow dryer and curling iron, and made me pay to get them back. The clincher was?? My sisters ALSO used those items. They got held hostage by my stubborness and my Mom's strong will to make me pay! I find myself seriously wishing I knew what brought on this idea to take her clothes. For what it is worth, when I was her age? I totally would have borrowed clothes from my friends, making sure to select immodest items like tank tops and mini skirts and refused to pay to get my own modest clothing back. Wrongly assuming that this would hurt them, not me. (Ugh..just thinking about what a horribly terrible teen I was....) I wouldn't go back to those days for ANY thing.

    For what it is worth though - AWESOME parenting! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think that word "violent" means what she thinks it means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, Julie you wouldn't! but I could see that happening. yikes, what if?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly Marla...I think I totally would! I remember very distinctly once, when I was "grounded" from driving the car to school, I (very beligerently - in front of my parents I might add) picked up the phone and called the one friend they had specifically told me they didn't like me hanging around with, and as I was crying, asked her to give me a ride to school the next day, promising "My parents are SO mean - I'll tell you all about it later..."

    I was smart. I was all about "getting my revenge" when I thought they were being unfair.

    Luckily, I survived being my teenage self. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's hilarious. I totally love that girl! She's a born diplomat... articulate, thinks things through, exaggerates just a bit. I can see my DD writing a letter like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading your post & enjoying it so much, I just kept right on reading! "...Matthew 7:7-11 What man is there of you, who if his son asks bread, will he give him a stone?" Wait a ssssecond! this must not be the story anymore. Sure enough, I had moved on to your previous post. Made it even funnier. Looks like your handing out stones for bread. Way to go mom! Just remember... "he who is without sin cast the first stone". Ha, I am cracking myself up now. Seriously, stick to your guns. You got it goin' on mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man Marla, please don't tell me that disciplining a toddler will be repeated once they reach adolescence! Not good news for me! I love the reasoning skills she has!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marla good one! I run into the same types of problems,one of them dosen't care what you take. Making them pay for clothes is ingenious. Any moregreatideas, please share.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...