Friday, April 10, 2009

"BFF"

Have you ever thought how you end up being friends with the people you are friends with? I was thinking about this today and wondering how I ended up with my college friends. I wasn't roommates with any of them in the dorms. And we didn't really have a lot in common. We all liked different kinds of music, and we were all from different states.

So then I started thinking farther back to my high school friends. My best friend in HS was not into sports at all like I was. And we didn't even have a lot of classes together. So what was it?

I think most of my friendships are complementary types of relationships. And maybe that's just my personality to surround myself with people who have the attributes that I wish I had, but don't.

So then I started thinking about my best friend now. For some reason I always thought I'd marry a football player, or at least someone totally into sports like me. But as I look back on the boys I dated, none of them played any type of sport. (hindsight's 20/20 right?) So what was it? He was so totally different from me. A fact which I pointed out to him quite regularly.

But then one night he told me a story. His little 9 year old sister had gotten a "pink slip" at school because she and her friend had made up a song about their "flat-bottomed" teacher. He couldn't even get through the whole story because he was laughing so hard. And that is what made me decide to marry him. If he could make me laugh like this and even better, if we could laugh together, that was it!

I realize now that humor has always played a role in my friendships. But humor is so limiting of a description. I think its more of a "joy in the moment" kind of thing.

So, I guess if you can make me laugh - you're in.

4 comments:

  1. make you laugh, make you laugh, umph fresh out of cleverness, but glad to laugh with you anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to hear a 9-year olds song about their teachers flat bottom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo in. Dude, if we can make corsages, ponytail holders, and other "crafts" out of tampons for a dance at BYU--well, we can survive anything! Laugh on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most traumatizing day of my early life...
    I've always been so proud of myself for helping big bro marry you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...