Monday, April 5, 2010

The Island

The place where I live is known as "the Island". It is divided from the other parts of town by two bodies of water (kind of).

This weekend we made a trip back to our old civilization. We drove about 2 hours to go see family and eat and watch conference.

Getting ready for the visit felt weird.

You know how on reality shows (not that I have ever watched them) there is a point where the contestants go home for a short visit or get letters to remind them of how they were before the game.

That's what it felt like to me.

Like living here is a type of reality show and I just have to make it through 3 years and then I win.


But isn't that what life is?

We are given a short time in our life to make what we can of it.

Sometimes we are given reminders of "home". It can either discourage us or help us stay motivated to complete the challenge.

The goal is to not lose focus but to keep on striving.


The good thing about this game though is that everyone can win.

In fact, the real winners are those who help others win along their way, too.


So really, it's not just a three year contest, but an everyday one.

I'm planning on winning.

Anyone want to form an alliance with me?

4 comments:

  1. Is living in Logan that bad? I guess I totally agree about the being away from friends and family. If we have to leave Logan (which really isn't far off) I know it will be the same way for me. Even if the place we go is great, it will never be the same as where we are now. Good luck winning your game. We are rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts Marla! It's like every time I read them, you are pondering something deep... and I am just floating along I think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's not about being in Logan so much as being back in school with seven kids! (Plus leaving friends and family to go there.) You seem to be handling the challenges well and with a positive attitude. I admire that about you!:)
    Brianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I move to a new apartment, I feel like I'm showering in a hotel. The bathroom always takes the longest to get used to. But you'll have to tell me if I completely missed your point. I feel happy in Texas where I am, and when it comes time to leave here, it will be hard to go. But at the same time I'm just in a holding pattern because family is where "home" is.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...