Thursday, October 9, 2008

You Have 362 Friend Requests!

Facebook. It’s a drug.

It all started because my sister got on it. She got on because our other sister was on it. Then my mom got on and my brother. My niece was already on it, because, well, I guess she's young and cool and that’s what they do. I decided that I would be very selective about it. I’ll only use it with close family. Meanwhile, more and more of my “close” family was getting on: nieces, nephews, in-laws, cousins . . . college roommates. I know they are not close family, but they’re just like family. It won’t be bad if I use it with them. It was getting so much fun.

Then the day came that I got a request to use it with someone I knew in high school. I didn’t know them really well. But I was curious.
Here I am reminded of a poem my mom used to always say to us:
Vice is a monster of so frightful mien,
As, to be hated, needs but to be seen;
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace.

Look what curiosity got me. (see title) I was so selective at first. What happened?

So now what do I do? Is there a way to use it responsibly?

Maybe the placebo could be:
“Hey! I remember you. It’s so good to see you! What have you been up to? Oh, remember when . . . Yeah, it’s so great to see you too! We should really keep in touch. OK, Bye!”
No side effects.

Maybe I could just use it as a medication.

I don’t think there’s anyway I could just go cold turkey.

Facebook. I tell you, it’s a drug.

4 comments:

  1. I feel that way about blogging! Drew actually got on Facebook recently and he's been trying to convince me to join. I keep telling him no because I have a blog but a lot of my family have both. I don't know,,, if you can't stay away then I have no chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, if you really have 362 friends now, I'm feeling sooo unpopular. Maybe I should just starting saying yes to all those high school friends I really don't have anything to say to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 362 is the number in my graduating class. its just the title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, I think I'll stay off facebook for awhile. I was going to say I will never get on it, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...