Thursday, September 16, 2010

Kids Cleaning Day

My kids have regular "chores" everyday (get dressed, brush teeth, pick up your stuff, etc.)

Then they have an "after school job" that has to be done before snack (books, toys, couches, downstairs, junk).

And we rotate through "kitchen jobs" every night (garbage, dishwasher, floor, table, food, dishes, sinks, counter).

But every Tuesday is "Kids Cleaning Day".

I have done this different ways. But, I'm kind of excited about my new plan.

Every kid has to do everything on the first list (the oldest helps the youngest).

1. STRAIGHTEN
bed (made mom's way and all toys and books off)
closet (all clothes hung up nicely, no junk on floor)
clothes drawers (they can shove their laundry in everyday except once a week it has to be straightened)
top of dresser (junk collection spot - they have to put it in their treasure box, school drawer, or garbage)
shoes (make sure all shoes are lined up nicely with matches)

After their straightening jobs are done they get to start picking out of the jar.

There are 5 jobs in each category for my 5 school-aged kids.

Each category has its own color so I can just say, go pick a blue one, etc.

2. DUST (blue)
boys room, girls room, living room, playroom, electronics

3. VACUUM (orange)
boys room, girls room, living room, playroom, stairs

4. CLEAN (yellow)
bathroom sinks, toilets, bathroom floor, mirrors, kitchen chairs

5. ORGANIZE (purple)
coloring stuff, games, books, hair stuff, toys

If they happen to pick one that they did last week, they can choose again if they want to and there are any others left. (It gives them motivation to not be the last to pick.)

I like the fact that they might have to clean their brother or sister's room. (So far no arguments there.)

This is a shorter version than what we used to do, so there are some things that are left out (under beds, doorknobs, walls, etc.)

I put those on an "extra" list so when Dad says, "ask mom what job you can do" or mom says, "that just earned you an extra job mister!", well . . . you know the drill.

I'm pretty sure I'll have to come up with something new to keep their interest next year, but so far so good.


sheesh, I guess my kids have to clean a lot!


strike that and reverse


sheesh, I have a lot of kids to clean!



6 comments:

  1. Sheesh! Five kids leave a big mess that has to be cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, giggles. You make me laugh. I love it though. I can't wait until my kids are actually old enough to be really efficient. I mean they can help me with little things but man I sure wish I didn't have to do dishes or scrub toilets.I'll get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My mom was never very good at getting us to clean anything. She pretty much did everything. So far I clean everything, but my girls are still very young, and whenever I ask Bree for help cleaning up toys, she always helps me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like you.
    Strike that & reverse.
    You like me.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...