Friday, January 25, 2013

My Thoughts on Homeschooling

Since we were job hunting at the beginning of the school year, I gave my kids the choice of starting school, and perhaps moving in the middle of it, or just being homeschooled. 

Secretly, I was hoping they would choose to stay home.

I have been wanting to homeschool my kids for a while.  I can't exactly say why.  We have, for the most part, had wonderful teachers and schools.  So it wasn't that. It's just really something I wanted to do.

The two oldest decided to go to the high school, but my 3rd, 5th, and 7th grader chose to stay home. 


I could not be happier about this decision!  I love it!

I love not having to rush my kids out of the door in the morning. 

I love not having to remember how long my kids read for and signing homework papers while trying to rush them out the door. 

I love that we don't have extra homework.  When we are done with school, we're really done. 

I love that we can be done with our school close to lunchtime.

I love that we can learn about interesting things all together instead of the kids learning separately. 

I love that I'm learning as well as my kids. 


And although I sometimes often long for that feeling of relief when I finally got them out the door.
 
And I miss having a bit more quiet time; and time to get chores and shopping done.

And the kids are together all the time so there's more chance of annoying each other and getting on each others nerves.

And there are many days when it's time to get started on school and there is a lot of whining. 
And screaming. 
And complaining. 
And fit throwing when they make mistakes.  

And I'm pretty sure that if they were in school most of that wouldn't happen. 

I wouldn't trade it.


I like knowing what my kids are learning and who they are hanging out with.  It makes me happy when they do play happily together, like right now.

I'm pretty sure there are not a lot of 12 1/2 year old boys who play make-believe like mine. 

I think it might have to do with what little outside influence he has on him.

Now, I know that I can't protect my kids from the world forever.  And I don't even feel like that's why I'm homeschooling. 

Except for the fact, that I'm their mother. 

And why not take as much time as I can teaching them what they need to know to survive in this world. 

Rather than leaving it up to others.  (As remarkable a job as they might do.)

And I'm not clueless to the fact that my kids will need other mentors in their lives.  I'm just not sure I want their mentors to be other kids at school who I may not know.


I'm still figuring this all out.

I have tried to be very structured like some books that I have read. 

But I'm starting to get more relaxed and realize how I want to do it.  And figuring out what works best for each of my kids.

My almost 5 year old is pretty sure she wants to go to regular school.  (Mostly so she can eat lunch there.)

My plan is to take each year and child individually and see what will be the best for them. 

But, the thought of not having to send another child to school again, makes me very happy.

2 comments:

  1. Marla, You are an amazing Mother I know you and your children will and are benefiting greatly from this experience! It is great isn't it: :) Miss you guys here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Homeschooling is in our future, I think. I see so many advantages to it. And certainly we will if we stay in Austin where the schools are so bad. There seems to be a stigma about home schooled, kids sometimes, but I think that's going away in recent years. I'm so happy to know that you've had an overall positive experience.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...