Monday, February 11, 2013

My Older Brother

Do you know what makes me happy?

The fact that my brother reads my blog.

Even if he does make fun of me sometimes and posts snarky comments.

I have always wanted to be just like him.

When I served a mission in California, I had a chance to work with the Laotion people for a short time.

We were visiting this one family and the husband kept looking at my name tag that said, "Sister Banks".

They had been baptized a while ago, but hadn't been to church for a long time.

I asked where they were baptized and they told me Seattle, WA. 

Well, that just happened to be where my brother served his mission 9 years earlier.

I asked what missionaries taught them and the husband said, "Elder Banks".

I couldn't believe it! 

My brother had taught this family the gospel and helped them be baptized.  (He also translated in the hospital when their youngest daughter was born.  I think they even said that he helped name her.)

Now here I was, helping this family, just like my brother had done.

It was as if I was being given the chance to help my brother finish what he had started.

I felt so close to my brother and so much joy.


I have another "Older Brother" who I want to be like more than anything .

And I have the chance to help Him in the work that He has already started.

If I want to feel close to Him then I need to serve those He loves.

And if it brought me so much joy to help my older brother, it's hard to imagine the joy that will come when I do His work.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot that great story! And I'm impressed he reads your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like being compared to Him rather than as Angel of Darkness, Antichrist, Apollyon, Beelzebub, Diabolus, King of Hell, Lucifer, Mephistopheles, Prince of Darkness, archfiend, demon, the Evil Spirit, etc. How's that for snarky (good word)? I love being close to you & your family. We'll do some fun hikes this summer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...